What is CMS?
CMS or a ‘Content Management System’ quite literally allows you to control and manage the content within your web site – without technical training. Using this uncomplicated system you can very easily add, delete images and edit text in your web site on the fly. You can also have an unlimited number of pages and a full site-search engine.
Simply put, if you have just a little experience with Microsoft Word then you will be able to manage the content of your own web site very easily indeed. Editing can be done with any normal web browser from anywhere in the world.
A CMS web presence allows you to manage your web site even if you have no technical knowledge, experience with HTML or web site design. It also reduces the calls to your web designer or IT department for changes to the web site. CMS reduces the time required to publish, allowing you to get your content on-line faster. This is a very important issue for any professional web site.
Benefits of a CMS Website:
A CMS based website provides a number of benefits to our clients:
- Content Management Systems allow any number of individuals (authors) within a business to add, edit and delete content pages. Non-technical people can create and produce online content, while maintaining the uniform look and feel of the website.
- Site content is managed using a password protected administration control panel, that allows for the easy creation and management website content. The control panel interface is easy to use and is base upon WYSIWYG (“What You See Is What You Get”) editor. With WYSIWYG, entering content acts very much like word-processing software, such as Microsoft Word. Therefore, a user does not have to have any coding knowledge or experience.
- The website becomes truly dynamic and stays up-to-date. Fresh content can be added through any computer with internet access, anywhere in the world. All content is maintained through a web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc).
- The design of the website can be changed at any time without affecting the content. Because a CMS separates the web design and content management functions, the site can accommodate or expand with the changes or growth in a business without the need for a new website.
- The design of the website cannot be “broken’ or altered by any content author. All content and links are automatically generated in page layouts that are pre-installed by the web designer. Pre-installed style sheets are used to control the formatting of text.
- A CMS driven website provides a faster, more practical solution to manage the website. When compared to other web design options (static html), a standardized CMS implemented website is going to increase the speed with which content gets posted, guarantee your content’s visibility and interoperability, and cut down on the resources necessary to manage and maintain the website. Lower costs, faster deployment times and increased control will encourage more frequently updates and create a dynamic website.
- There are no additional software requirements. This reduces software licensing and hardware costs for the business owner.
Will we need to have a meeting in connection with the website design?
In the majority of cases a meeting isn’t necessary and most of our websites are generally completed with contact via email, skype and telephone only.
Will I be able to make updates to my site?
The majority of our clients opt to go with a content management system (CMS). The advantage of a CMS is that it allows non-technical people to login and edit their content, upload pictures, and more. This puts much more control in your hands. Of course, we will be available for any additional assistance that you may need.
Do I need to be a computer expert to use the CMS?
No. The CMS (or Content Management System) has a user-friendly editor that allows you to add or edit content, add pages, manage your menus, upload pictures, and more. Generally, if you are comfortable using a word processing program such as Microsoft Word, you can easily learn how to use the CMS.
Do you provide training on how to use the CMS?
Yes. Training is provided for an additional fee. In this way you have complete control over your website and can update daily
How do I provide content for the website?
Although we will design the site, the content is your own. All content can be sent via email oor dropped off with us. The content should be sent using text and/or graphics via Word, Excel, plain text file, etc. sent only as soft (electronic) copy. The content will be uploaded as sent. Kreative Konceptionz will not edit content but will do a basic spell check.
What is my role in the project?
The development of your website is a collaborative process between you and us. We each have defined roles in the project. Your role is to help us understand your goals for the site, understand your business and customers, and understand what you are looking for in the design. We will also need you to provide any of your current marketing or company collateral, logo in electronic format, and content also in electronic format. You will also provide feedback at different stages in the project.
How long does it take to develop a website?
Depending on the size and complexity of the site, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months from the time we receive the client deliverables from you. The timescale of a website design project is often dictated by the client. If you have a deadline in mind we will endeavour to meet it for you. The most common delay in the creation and completion of a new website is waiting for content (text/images) to be sent to us by the client.
What after sales services do you offer once the website is completed?
We are in regular contact with all our clients and are happy to discuss anything relating to your website at any time.
Can I move my website at anytime to another web design or hosting company?
Yes, you may move your website to another hosting company at any time.
Who owns the website you have designed?
Once you have paid us in full, you own the website you have paid us to design.
Can you redesign my existing websites?
Yes, we can redesign your existing website to include minor additions or a total revamp.
What does hosting mean?
Hosting is the service where your website is stored on a powerful computer or server which is connected to the internet 24/7 enabling visitors to view your website at anytime. We make use of Afrihost to host your website and open an account on your behalf.
Does my website come with email addresses?
Yes your website hosting account includes setting up email accounts for you and your company departments and employees.
What is a domain name?
A domain name is normally your website address and reflects your trading name for example our domain name or web address is www.kreativekonceptionz.co.za. You can have as many domains as you require and some companies buy generic domains that reflect what you do as well as who you are, for example www.webdesignerssa.co.za which may help being found in the search engines.
Can I register a domain name through Kreative Konceptionz?
Yes you can. When we open your account on your behalf, you get your first domain in your Afrihost hosting package for free.
Will everyone see my web site the same?
Your website visitors will see some things differently depending on their browser, screen resolution setting and their individual computer settings and toolbars. We design sites with that in mind and preview them in several browser types and resolution settings before publishing. Obviously as technology alters then eventually all websites may need re-evaluation.